Happy New Year Mommas! Hope all of you had a splendid holiday with your families. I wanted to start off the new year with a visual new year’s resolution that I doodled the other night…
I am not a big fan of resolutions… but I found myself reviewing my 2012 year and realized I wanted to update and improve a few areas. Maybe some of you can relate:
1. Mom Guilt Bucket. I’m going to have to resolve to having to live with mom guilt for as long as I am a mom. But I’m going to work on reducing more of this. I think I will start by creating a daily mantra to ward this off. Anyone have suggestions?
2. Recording Memories. I find myself sometimes swimming in apps, the frenzy of social media and having to keep up with being “current” with what I am “currently” doing. Oddly enough, I find myself behind on recording genuine good ol’ fashioned memories with Zilla. Things like silly voice recordings, a photobook filled with mundane family photos vs slicked up hipstamatic shots.
3. More human fuel. The amount of driving since Zilla started preschool has tripled. I found myself having so much “time” with him in the car. Not only will I try to make the most out of this, but I will also try and do more things on foot with him and when I’m at work or running errands.
4. No means No! I suppose this goes with the guilt bucket. Moms are notorious for being Yes Men (I mean Moms!). People, places, things…I think I will be far more choosy about who gets a “yes” and be more liberal with the “no.”
5. When I reviewed my year I realized some of my best memories were xoxo times with Zilla. The perfect little kisses he gives me when he says goodbye. And his full force leap-into-my-arms when I come home from work. I know I will be savoring these in my wee old age and I am going to try and get as much as I can.
6. Hooray for handwritten. I am in the stationery business and you’d think I would be practicing the handwritten letter more than anyone. Truth is, my holiday cards were the first time I penned something by hand in a quite a while. It felt wonderful to do this and I felt connected to my sentiments.
Have any of you reviewed your past year and are tweaking a few for the 2013?